High-Quality Vs. Low-Quality Polyurea Concrete Coatings: Is It Worth It?
Polyurea is one of the most durable concrete coatings available. Most are impact-resistant, stain-resistant, and will not fade under high UV rays.
But, like any product out there, there is a wide range in quality of polyurea concrete coatings, and not all polyurea is created equal.
If you are interested in a polyurea coating for your garage floor, outdoor patio, pool deck, or any area in your home, it’s crucial you understand this vast range in quality so you can find the best coating for your home.
Southwest Exteriors offers the highest quality polyurea coatings from Penntek. Because we install high-quality polyurea, we know the variety in cost and quality can be overwhelming.
We know high-end concrete coatings are more expensive than other options, even if they appear to be the same. This can make you question why you should choose a more expensive option over a less expensive one.
You want to understand what makes a high-quality polyurea different from a low-quality one. Then, you will have a better idea of how different products will perform and which fits your needs.
High-Quality vs. Low-Quality Polyurea Concrete Coatings: 5 Key Differences
Depending on your goals for your project, you must find the right product for you.
You want to know that your new coating will perform how you need it to and fit your budget. With this, you must have realistic expectations for cost and quality.
Let’s look at five key differences between high-quality and low-quality polyurea coatings. Then, you can understand why some are more expensive than others.
One of the first major differences between the quality of polyurea coatings is the cost. When it comes to any remodeling product, cost and quality have a direct relationship.
- A high-quality polyurea costs around $4,750 - $5,250 for 500 square feet of coating. This cost includes installation and labor.
- A lower-quality polyurea can cost significantly less than that, or approximately $2,500 - $3,500 for the same square footage. You can even find DIY polyurea kits from typical Big Box stores for around $600 - $1,300.
Understanding the wide range in cost of polyurea coatings helps to understand the relation between cost and quality, performance, installation, and longevity.
If you want a high-quality concrete coating, it will cost more. You cannot expect a long-lasting coating for the cheapest amount available.
After looking at the differences in the cost of polyurea coatings, let’s dive into the differences in quality. The overall quality of a concrete coating determines how well it performs and lasts in your home.
- A higher-quality concrete coating will cost more, but it will have more attractive qualities that make it worth the investment. This is because these coatings are made at a higher quality, allowing them to perform better.
- A lower-quality coating will cost less, but it will not perform as well as higher-quality coatings because they are not manufactured of the same quality.
To choose the best coating that will meet your needs for quality, you must consider how you want it to perform and what your budget is.
A lower-quality concrete coating may be better for you if you aren’t looking for a long-term solution. But, if you want a long-lasting coating, you must then find a higher-quality polyurea.
The quality of a concrete coating directly affects its performance. The performance of your concrete coating refers to its durability, how well it can resist weathering, and how it holds up over time.
- A lower-quality polyurea will not be as durable as a higher-quality one. They will chip and peel easier, wear down from constant walking or cars driving on it, and fade when exposed to constant UV damage.
- The highest-quality polyurea coatings can withstand impact and staining. They will not chip, crack, or peel, and won’t fade under UV rays.
Knowing how well you want your concrete coating to perform will help you determine which type of polyurea coating is best for you.
Will the coating be exposed to constant sunlight? Is there potential for heavy impact on the coating? Do you need a coating with anti-slip properties?
These are just a few questions to consider as far as the qualities and performance you need for your coating.
One of the biggest differences between high-quality and low-quality concrete coatings is the quality of installation. Even the best products available will fail if not installed properly.
- A faulty concrete coating installation can result in the coating not adhering properly to the concrete and unevenness. Ultimately, it will fail.
- A proper concrete coating will consist of the correct preparation of the concrete and expert application. This allows the coating to last for years in your home.
While, yes, a high-quality concrete coating installation is more expensive, it ensures your coating lasts. If you aren’t concerned about the longevity of your coating, then choosing a lower-quality contractor with a lower-quality installation may be your better option.
Remember, for a high-quality concrete coating, you must find the right contractor that will meet your needs for cost, quality, and performance.
The final difference between high-quality and low-quality polyureas is their longevity. The longevity of a coating depends on the quality of the coating and the quality of installation.
- A low-quality polyurea paired with a low-quality installation will not last. It may not even last a year.
- A high-quality polyurea with a low-quality installation also will not last.
- The highest-quality polyurea with a professional installation will ensure your new coating will last for years in your home.
Considering how long you want your concrete coating to last will help you find the right quality polyurea for you.
Finding The Right Polyurea Concrete Coating For You
Now that you know the five biggest differences between high-quality and low-quality polyureas, you can understand why some are more expensive than others and which is the right option for you.
- A high-quality polyurea coating is more expensive than other options. But, it is more durable, performs better, and lasts in your home.
- A lower-quality polyurea will be less expensive. It will not perform as well as other quality coatings and will not last.
Before choosing a polyurea coating for you, you must outline your goals for your project. Consider the area your concrete coating will be, what qualities you want for its performance, how long you want it to last, and what you want it to look like.
Knowing your overall goals for your project is important to have realistic expectations for the cost and quality of your new coating.
One of the most important ways to find the right polyurea for you is knowing the right questions to ask a contractor to ensure you get the proper coating for you.
Check out this article that outlines 10 questions to ask a concrete coating contractor during a consultation so you can find the best contractor for your project.
Looking For A High-Quality Polyurea Coating?
Southwest Exteriors offers high-quality polyurea concrete coatings from Penntek.
Our crews are professionally trained to properly prep your concrete and install your coating to the highest standards, ensuring its longevity and quality.
Ready to upgrade your space with a contractor you can trust? Schedule your commitment-free consultation today and get the look you love coming home to!