The specifications of your home
- The size
- Two story vs. one story
- Terrain around the home (i.e., whether the ground is level or sharply sloped)
- The amount of landscaping that installers must avoid
The specifications of the project
- Color Plus® HardiePlank vs. Prime Plus® HardiePlank
- Tearing off the old siding vs. nailing new siding over the top
- Painting the whole house one color vs. painting the sides one color and the trim another color
The contractor you’ve hired
- The skill and experience level of the crew—the quality of work and speed of completion depends heavily upon this factor
- The reliability of material delivery—using a reliable supplier who delivers the correct order on time will save a lot of time and headaches
- The work ethic of the crew—an industrious, diligent crew will finish the installation in a much more timely fashion than one that is not focused and committed to working hard and doing what they promised.
- Weather—wind, humidity, and rain can affect the installation of the Hardie materials and the installation of the paint coating
- Emergencies and other last minute items that interfere with the project
Here’s a scenario that may give you an idea of what a typical project might entail. If you’re having Pre-Primed HardiePlank siding installed, your home is considered average according to the aforementioned factors, and the contractor is following the James Hardie Siding Best Practices manual, the job will take approximately 10 to 12 days for the HardiePlank siding to be installed. Then for the paint crew to apply a second primer and coat the siding, you can expect about 5 more days to be added, bringing your total work days up to about 17 or so.
As you can see, there are a number of factors that affect the time frame of your project’s completion date. It’s important that your contractor sets clear and reasonable expectations for you from the very start so that you can discuss everything with them, choose the dates that work best, and avoid ending up with a frustrating schedule conflict.
If you have any further questions about installing HardiePlank siding on your home, feel free to contact us directly.