Being a homeowner comes with a lot of perks. For many people, one of the best perks of homeownership is having total control over the design and décor of your property, from the interior to the exterior.
Needless to say, being a homeowner is a lot of work as well. Maintaining your home’s appearance and functionality is important and requires plenty of upkeep and consistent care to keep it running and up to date.
Two of the most common items that need replacing in the home are the windows and the doors. With improved construction, both of these home features are designed to last for an average of approximately 25 years. At Southwest Exteriors, we’re always glad to help homeowners improve their homes with energy-efficient doors and windows. In this article, we’ll go over some of the benefits of summertime door and window replacement, and how you can get started building a better home this season.
Do I Need Door and Window Replacement This Summer?
Replacing windows and doors isn’t a minor home improvement project. However, if your home’s current installations are failing, deteriorating, unsightly, or outdated, replacing them can offer plenty of benefits for many years to come.
Many homeowners aren’t sure whether they are really in need of replacement or not. Fortunately, the signs of needing San Antonio replacement windows or new San Antonio doors are easy to recognize. Here’s a list of some of the most obvious signs for your consideration:
- Draft of cold or hot air passes through.
- Windows or doors have peeling paint or are splitting.
- No longer opens or closes easily.
- Difficult to lock your window or door.
- Light passes through the seams.
- Condensation between window panes.
- Energy bills are rising steadily.
- Doors and windows look outdated or unattractive.
If you are experiencing any of the above-mentioned signs, you should look into replacing your windows and doors sooner rather than later.
Should I Replace Both at the Same Time?
If you’ve noticed more problems with your doors than your windows, or your windows than your doors, you might be wondering whether it’s really necessary to replace both at the same time. The truth is that there are plenty of benefits to replacing both when you’re already replacing one.
Some benefits of doing both include the following:
- Superior Curb Appeal: Brand new windows look nice. Brand new doors also look nice. Having both means that you will have enhanced control of the full appearance of your home. What’s the point of having the best-looking windows if the doors look 10 years older? Replace both at the same time to keep your style, trim, and color uniform and cohesive.
- Improved Protection: Windows and doors share the same approximate life span. By replacing both at the same time, you ensure that the next couple of decades are filled with protection against home concerns. Threats such as drafts, insects, condensation, and anything else nature might throw at you and your home construction deserve top-quality protection with superior door and window installations.
- Avoid Mold and Fungi: When the windows and doors no longer function at their best, mold and other fungi can grow and spread much more quickly. Choosing to replace one instead of both only allows for mold concentrations to center on the item not being replaced. Both need replacing to fully prevent mold growth.
- More Insulation: Chances are that over the summer, you’ve noticed an increase in your home’s energy bills. To make the home truly energy-efficient, everything needs to work together. The best doors can’t do much to improve indoor comfort or lower your energy bill if the windows are underperforming, and vice versa. Plus, with technology improving so rapidly, it’s inevitable that whatever doesn’t get replaced will lag behind in performance when compared to the brand-new product.
- Low Maintenance: One of the buzzwords in the exterior remodeling industry is maintenance. Today, customers not only want performance, but they also want something that takes less effort to maintain. The windows and doors of today are much lower maintenance than the windows and doors of the past. Replacing both is one way to guarantee that your list of chores drops significantly. Plus, new windows and doors come with warranties in the event that something fails to perform as intended.
Get Energy Efficient with Southwest Exteriors
At Southwest Exteriors we know what it takes to make our customer’s homes truly energy efficient. That’s why we specialize in providing the best solutions when it comes to San Antonio replacement windows and new San Antonio doors. We’re a Marvin windows replacement contractor, but we also specialize in high-quality installations.
If you’re interested in upgrading your home with new, energy-efficient window and door products, we’d love to hear from you. Give us a call to speak with one of our agents from Southwest Exteriors about our professional exterior remodeling services, or fill out our online form to schedule your free, in-home price quote.
TagsWindow door replacement Energy Efficiency
Subscribe to Southwest Exteriors's Blog